27 July, 2012
Do you know why most of the companies are opting for this storage system? Well, they rely more on it because these firms need to move stock faster, and also have a foreseeable turnover. Carton live (CL) storage is a gravity fed system that helps in lean order picking.
Before discussing about the benefits, it is important that we know how it works. Replenishment cartons are loaded at the back and then they move towards the anterior of the rack. The foremost carton that is placed in a particular shelf is the first at the end from where it shall be unloaded. Carton live shelving is therefore ideal for full stock rotation.
Crates are laden on inclined tracks having rollers. When one crate is removed, another one that is right behind will roll to take its position so that automated rotation of stock is possible. In this way, the inventory is always ready to be picked. By opting for CL storage, businesses are assured that the order picking will be convenient and timely. It is suitable for a wide array of products such as automobile parts, computers, cosmetics and pharmaceuticals. So, it is ideal for items that are smaller.
Now, let us have a look at the benefits of CL shelving in the storage and handling of goods.
Why is it Better than Traditional Shelving?
- The picking time of company manufactured products is reduced.
- Helps in freeing up warehouse floor space.
- There is also enhancement in the pick rates.
- Businesses can benefit as there are separate replenishment and pick zones.
- The costs of labour are also minimized to a considerable extent.
- The time of travel between order picking is also lessened.
- Both split and full case pickings is possible from within a similar bay.
- A proper guide rail will help in keeping the goods segregated on the CL shelving.
- It can be reconfigured according to the storage requirements of the business. If the firm wishes to store different product types, then such items can also be stored without any hassle.
- The rollers are easily adjustable and accommodate items that are of varied shapes, forms or sizes.
- It’s a one time investment and functions for a lifetime.
- For Even pick and put-to-light systems can be integrated at the frontal position. This is beneficial for high-volume order.
- Modern CLS systems are more improved as they are fitted using internal conveyors. This feature assists in the easy transfer of merchandise.
As it helps in lessening travelling time and also distances for the staff, it is the preferred choice of most companies.
Do you have some more ideas to share? Feel free to add your valuable comments.